What was the last nice thing you did for yourself?
How did it make you feel? Did a smile of quiet contentment cross your lips? Or were you shrieking and giggling like the happiest camper? Or maybe sighs of stress left your body and dissolved into nothing?
I've been on a mission these last few weeks: self-care like a boss.
My summer was really hard. Between some un-fun health issues and a couple of un-fun construction projects, the wind got super knocked out of my sails and left me feeling empty. Devoid of inspiration and energy. Sad. It happens. It's life, even for peddlers of the happiest panties! :)
So in an effort to fill back up
, I've been self-caring like a boss. Early to bed.
Alarm off when I can. Mid day walks in nature. A massage here and there. Lots of hot tea, hot chocolate
, hot apple cider (there might be a theme...). Farmer's market and cooking fresh, nourishing food. Cleaning and decluttering (because when I can barely take care of myself, housework takes a back seat...). Taking pictures just because. Lots of time playing with my cat, which also includes stretching
when she stretches... Getting less done at work intentionally because if I were to try to maintain my "normal" pace, I'd just dig myself deeper into this place of burnout and fatigue and still end up getting less done, just feeling worse about it. Confronting feelings of guilt and selfishness for doing what I need to do. Saying, "No,"
to invitations and opportunities, a ton. And it's working.
I feel so much better writing to you today, than I did 2 weeks ago. Than I did a month ago. And I'm feeling optimistic that I'll be back to normal just in time for LVEO's busiest time of the year (November and December).
So today, in an effort to share the warm fuzzies, I invite you, sweet, smart, beautiful you to commit an act of self-care this weekend. Extra credit for doing something today too ;) Because you deserve it.
Because you're worth it. Because if you're anything like me, you probably take care of everyone else and everything else before yourself. Because taking care of yourself
(first, sometimes) allows you to be more present and love more fully and deeply the people who you need and who need you.
Which, I'm guessing, is probably your goal anyway.
So. How can you spoil yourself? Today. This weekend, Forever... :)
Here are some ideas:
1. Bring home some bright, fresh, happy flowers
2. Hang out with some kiddos. Or play with a pet. Or many pets. :)
3. Get a massage
4. Write in your journal
5. Exercise - take a walk, throw a one-woman dance party... Do something that you'll feel good after doing.
6. Do something creative. Color or draw or sing or paint or cook or sew or garden or play music or collage or write a letter or _______ (you fill in the blank).
7. Do your nails. Or get a pedicure.
8. Wear something that makes you feel amazing. Maybe your Upitees will be the first thing you put on?
9. Ask for help. Outsource something.
10. Sleep in. Or go to bed early. Just get enough sleep.
11. If you're a city dweller, do something quiet or special or awesome in nature. If you're more of a rural girl, do something special or awesome in the city.
12. Read something for pure pleasure (In addition to all the business books I read, you can usually find me with some kind of cotton candy fiction on the nightstand...)
13. Say no. To things you don't want to do. To commitments that feel like too much. Listen to your gut.
14. Unplug. Turn your phone off. Make time to do nothing.
Ok, so this is a super short list, and there a bajillion more ways you could take care of yourself today, this weekend, everyday.
What will you do? Please comment below to keep the conversation going.
Leave a comment